Business Letter Mini Unit
This year, we will start the business letter unit slightly differently and have a different focus.
In the past, we have learned the format and then e-mailed or mailed a letter to an Author of book we've read; or we've sent a letter to a company complimenting their product (often we've gotten gift certificates in return); this year, we will write a letter to Santa in the North Pole.
1. Watch youtube video on Letter to Santa.
2. Learn business letter format as per lesson below and we will write Santa a formal business letter.
1. An important skill to possess as many of you graduate is the ability to write a concise, clear, business letter. Class discussion on importance of being able to write a business letter.
2. Watch a Video on the Business letter:
(See Video on left)
3. Teacher will provide brief notes on the business letter. Students will fill in the blanks. On the side of the board will also be an example business letter that Mr. Fitton will refer to. Students will also have a copy.
4. Students will examine an annotated example of a business letter to see what one would look like. It also contains valuable instructions and information. See below for a complaint letter as well. However, the Ministry seems to have ceased using Complaint Letters on the exam due to the fact that many students in the past have used profanity in their complain letters. Remember, the tone is meant to be formal.
5. Below, please find a copy of tips for how to write the letter. This handout may be given out closer to the exam so that students get a quick refresher.
6. Next, students will be given some exemplars from the Ministry of Education. As a class, we will grade several of the exemplars and discuss what they are missing, or what improvements we would suggest. Please see below for exemplars.
|File Size:||72 kb|
7. Finally, students will write a second business letter that is taken from a previous government exam as a way to show their mastery of the business letter. They will be able to use the feedback they received on their initial assignment in order to write an even better response. Mr. Fitton will keep the higher of the two grades.